Ray Bradbury (USA. b. 1920)
Bradbury was a great SciFi writer. He wrote Farenheit 451 (1953) and The Martian Chronicles (1950), in case these ring a bell. Below you'll find links for three of his works.
Listen to Ray Bradbury in two interviews by Don Swaim held in 1992 (48 min) and 1993 (33 min).
|Graphic||Info on Book||Other|
|The Martian Chronicles (1950)
Listen to an on-line 1950s 25-minute adaptation of the novel
Read this story in the novel: There Will Come Soft Rains (3 pages).
The Martian Chronicles (1950) was published in the UK as The Silver Locusts.
More info on this novel:
| Some activities you can do:
Reading and Thinking: check out this study guide of a close reading of this story.
Reading Comprehension Exercise: Questions for "There Will Come Soft Rains", taken from Mr. Lettiere's worksheet Grade 10.
1. What unusual qualities and appliances does the house have?
2. What were the five spots of paint of?
3. What happened to the people?
4. What are some things the house has been protecting itself from?
5. Why is the dog very thin and covered in sores?
6. What happens to the dog's remains?
7. What can you infer the family usually does at 2:35?
8. What did the children usually do at 4:30?
9. What is the name of the family that lived in the house?
10. What are some things the house does to try to save itself?
11. What was the last voice to die saying?
Your Activities: Send in your own Comprehension questions! Noemí (Y3, 2005-06) gave an oral presentation on this story and she handed out a copy of a handwritten glossary she made (she forgot to send it in, though!)
|The Illustrated Man (1951)
|It includes the story: "The Rocket Man" (coming soon)|
|Farenheit 451 (1953)
Fahrenheit 451 read by the author, unabridged!
There is more than one way to burn a book.
If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn
Print this excerpt (3 pages)